Chapel of Our Lady of Vale

Paredes
Description

The Chapel of Our Lady of Vale may have been built in the late 15th century or early 16th century.
The main portal and its sculpture show how medieval motifs [Romanesque and Gothic] have lingered through time.
The Chapel comprises a rectangular nave and a square chancel with wooden ceilings. This Chapel would have initially had a stone vault with crossed ogives. This monument maintains traces of mural painting, with representations of angel musicians. This painting, dated 1530-1540, suggests the presence of a high quality workshop, probably linked to master Arnaus.
The presence of the pulpit outside the Chapel should be understood in the scope of pilgrimage, since the large influx of devotees tended to hold open air celebrations here. Both the porch and the pulpit are common to this type of devotional chapel.
The location of this Chapel explains the devotion to Our Lady of Vale, showing how its foundation is connected to the farming interests and religiousness of the local people.


Location: Paredes
Casa de Santa Cristina

Casa de Santa Cristina

The house of Santa Cristina is located in the parish of Alpendorada municipality of Marco de...
More info
RitzRestaurante Ritz

RitzRestaurante Ritz

It is typically known for "francesinhas"(sandwish made with fillet steak, ham and smoked sausage...
More info
Lagarteiro

Lagarteiro

"The Municipality of Penafiel has ancestral references in the product Gastronomy and Wines.The...
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation