Convent Corpus Christi

Vila Nova de Gaia
Description
The Convent Corpus Christi was originally built by the river in the XIV century. The Church experienced a gradual degradation caused by the constant flooding of the Douro River, which led to the building by the Nuns of Saint Domingos, of the present church in the XVII century.

The monastery suffered profound changes in the XVII and XVIII centuries and was closed in 1834.

To highlight is the richness and artistic value of the octagonal chapel, finished by a dome, with four side altars, the high-choir with a paneled ceiling formed by 49 oil paintings, and yet the stall, from the first half of the XVII century, with rich ornamental work , namely scrolls and masks.

Here lies the tomb of Alvaro Cernache, second lieutenant of the Valentines wing in the Aljubarrota Battle.

Today, the Convent Corpus Christi, in a privileged place, next to Cais de Gaia, is a municipal equipment of intense cultural activity.

Timetable:

From Tuesday to Sunday -10 a.m.- 06 p.m.

Location: Vila Nova de Gaia
Pousada S. Teotónio

Pousada S. Teotónio

RNET Registo Nº 1534Located in the Portuguese border town with Spain, the Pousada Valenca is a...
More info
Restaurant Provas

Restaurant Provas

Restaurant situated on the riverside of Gaia that offers comfort, excellency in the service and...
More info
Restaurant D.Tonho in Gaia

Restaurant D.Tonho in Gaia

D. Tonho of Gaia is situated in the Historical Center of Gaia with a panoramic view to Porto...
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation