Jardim do Calvário

Penafiel
Description

Built in 1883 under the management of the horticulturist Luís Barbosa Braga and according to the plan proposed by the city councilor Simão Júlio de Almeida e Mota Barbosa, the public garden of the Calvário had all the typical elements of its national and European counterparts.  The music pavilion or bandstand, some benches and the fences were ordered to the Fundação de Massarelos of Oporto; the trees came from Choupal Wood in Coimbra and from the municipal greenhouse of Lisbon, the most exotic ones were offered by the Viscount of Vilar de Allen, from his farm in Oporto. Everything was transported by railway to the railway station of Novelas. Some benches were removed from Bela Vista Garden situated in the Praça do Munícipio. A couple of swans came from Lisbon to the lake. The martial band played in the bandstand on Sundays and Thursdays’ nights and, according to the regulation of the garden, it could only be visited by the elite of Penafiel and the visit of peasants and people with bare feet was forbidden.

Location: Penafiel
Quinta da Fonte Arcada

Quinta da Fonte Arcada

 The Quinta da Fonte Arcada, is a XIInd century farm country house, with the architectural...
More info
Restaurant Vai de Roda

Restaurant Vai de Roda

"Vai de Roda" is a family-style restaurant cooking traditional Portuguese food.It has a space...
More info
Bons Hábitos

Bons Hábitos

Located next to the Park of Sameiro Garden in Rua Dão António Ferreira Gomes, the Restaurant...
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation