Monument for the First World War Deceased

Vila do Conde
Description

Throughout the second decade of the last century, the North Patriotic Civil Parish sought for the cities and towns of Portugal to honour their dead during the 1st World War, raising a monument in honour of the soldiers who perished. Also in Vila do Conde a monument was established in the Faria Figueiredo Avenue, in "Meia Laranja", according to the project-type promoted by the North Patriotic Civil Parish.
The funds for the erection of the monument were made by the “Box of Twenty Friends of Happy Youth of Vila do Conde “(Caixa dos Vinte Amigos Mocidade Alegre de Vila do Conde). This is a simple construction, in granite, which is based on the Malta Cross, a pattern of four sides, surmounted by the coat of arms of Vila do Conde.
Its inauguration took place on 10 April 1932, fourteen years and one day after the Battle of La Lys, thus paying tribute to Vilacondense people who lost their lives in the first military conflict on a global scale. A symbolic monument on 11 November 1968, indicating the passage of 50 years of the signing of the Armistice, a bronze plaque in memory of the Vilacondense combatants was undrawn.

Location: Vila do Conde
ALMA APARTMENTS

ALMA APARTMENTS

RNAL: 86406/ALSet in the center of Póvoa de Varzim, ALMA Apartments offers accommodation with a...
More info
"BANHO DE MAR" 4

"BANHO DE MAR" 4

RNAL: 78483/ALOverlooking the city, the "Banho de Mar" is located in Póvoa de Varzim and offers...
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation