Republic Square Garden

Penafiel
Description
Known as St. Valentine`s Garden, this area belonged to the Quinta do Calvário and to Manuel Pereira da Silva`s Palace, the Calvary Baron. In 1929, the buildings that flanked the manor house were demolished. At the same time the Barão do Calvário and Combatentes da Grande Guerra Streets were opened, giving acess to the present República Square. When the ground floor of the palace was adapted to a library-museum, this garden was also named of archaeological garden where part of the museum estate was exhibited. On the 1
st
of June/1972, it was inaugurated the statue of Padre Américo, which was transferred to the homonymous square in 2013. The pergola is decorated with wisteria is used as balcony facing the estates situated in the river Cavalum valley.

Location: Penafiel
Hotel Quinta da Cruz & SPA

Hotel Quinta da Cruz & SPA

Hotel Quinta da Cruz & SPA offers air-conditioned rooms with a private bathroom. It features an...
More info
Restaurant Casa Brasil Torralta

Restaurant Casa Brasil Torralta

"The Municipality of Penafiel has ancestral references in the product Gastronomy and Wines.The...
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation