São Gonçalo Bridge

Amarante
Description
It goes back to the XVIII century the construction of the Bridge of Amarante that connects the two banks in the same place of the primitive bridge constructed by Saint Gonçalo to allow the passage of the pilgrims. Before the collapse of the medieval bridge, it was possible to take the cruise that surrounded the municipality of Gouveia, which was later placed in a gutter of the Dominican convent of San Gonçalo (facing the current bridge). On one side of the cross we find the image of Our Lady of Pity (commonly known as Our Lady of the Bridge) and, on the other, that of Christ Crucified, not visible due to the position in which it is. Three round unequal round arches form the bridge, supported by pillars with triangular contoured upstream and downstream pillars. At the extremities it presents elegant ornate quadrangular pyramids, in one of them, a tombstone that testifies to the heroic resistance of the Portuguese soldiers, led by General Silveira, in 1809, during fourteen days of bloody fights to prevent the crossing, by the bridge, of the army Napoleonic.


Location: Amarante
Outeiro Tuías-Manor House

Outeiro Tuías-Manor House

Outeiro Tuías-Manor House, known as Casa do Outeiro is a manor with a long history. Its roots...
More info
Des Arts Hotel

Des Arts Hotel

The oldest and most highly visited Grande Hotel Silva in the town of Amarante opened its doors...
More info
Restaurante A Quelha

Restaurante A Quelha

House specialities:-Octopus fillets- Grilled octopus-Pork meat -Roasted veal
More info

It is a great traditional cuisine restaurante with specialities in lamb and veal. It is open for...
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation