Pousada Mosteiro de Guimarães

Guimarães
Description / Facilities
1 km from the centre of Guimarães, the birthplace of the Portuguese nation, the POUSADA DE SANTA MARINHA stands on a hillside with stunning views, reminding us of its golden age as a monastery.   

This monastery probably dates from the beginning of the Christian Reconquest at the end of the 11th century.  It is also connected with Mumadona Dias, the famous Countess to whom we owe some important monuments in the town of Guimarães. 

According to tradition, the monastery was given by Dona Mafalda, wife of Dom Afonso Henriques, the first King of Portugal, to the Canons Regular of St Augustine in 1154, and dedicated to St Margaret of Antioch (Santa Marinha), the patron saint of women in childbirth. 

In 1528 it was transferred to the monks of the Order of St Jerome, and here in 1537 King John III established one of Portugal's earliest universities which conferred the degrees of doctor, master and bachelor in theology, humanities and arts.  The princes Dom Duarte and Dom António (Prior of Crato) both studied here.

In 1834 the Liberal revolution suppressed the religious orders, and the monks of St Jerome were forced to leave the monastery.  The building was transferred to private ownership. 

In 1951, a fire gutted the entire east wing with the exception of the chapter house and the Frei Jerónimo terrace.  The buildings then began to deteriorate steadily. 

In 1972 they were acquired by the state to be used as a pousada.  The reconstruction, led by the architect Fernando Távora, resulted in a perfect blending of past elegance with contemporary comfort.  The project was awarded the “Europa Nostra” international prize and the National Prize for Architecture (1985).  

Ever since 1985 the Pousada de Santa Marinha has been proud to offer service of the highest quality, in which the customer's clear satisfaction and well-being are the top priority.
Address: Largo Domingos Leite de Castro, 4810-011 Guiimarães
Phone: 253511249

31 Jul to 03 Aug 2020

25 Apr 2016 to 31 Dec 2020
Casa de Sezim

Casa de Sezim

Known for their high quality white wines, is integrated on the Greens Wine Route.
More info
Lenocas

Lenocas

The cuisine in the council of Fafe is enjoyed by locals and visitors. Restaurant Lenocas is...
More info

Monastery of Costa

According to tradition the monastery was founded in 1154 by  Queen  Mafalda, wife of  King Afonso Henriques. The site has vestiges of a pre-roman temple....

Town Hall

HoursDays: Monday to FridayTime: 08:30 a.m to 05:30 p.m
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation