Biblioteca Municipal Palacete do Barão do Cálvário

Penafiel
Description

Its construction was ordered by Manuel Pereira da Silva, Calvário Baron, in 1853. It was built in the house of the Quinta do Calvário, in the Formosa Street, property acquired and widened by this emigrant enriched in Brazil. With an erudite trace, this house was considered the best in the city and, for this reason, when King D. Luís visited Penafiel in 1872, he stayed in this house. The Quinta do Calvário is a result of its union with surrounding properties, like the Cerrado da Atafona, property of the family Vale. After the breakout of a particular kind of mushroom, parasite of grapes, the owner of this farm was the first one to dedicate himself to the wine production, being followed by Quinta da Aveleda. In 1929, the building was acquired by the municipality in order to install some services, like the courthouse and the prison and, later, the Library-Museum, directed by Abílio Miranda. Today, it is the Municipal Library of Penafiel.

Location: Penafiel
Penafiel Park Hotel & Spa

Penafiel Park Hotel & Spa

An urban hotel dedicated to leisure and business.Situated in the Oporto area that overlooks the...
More info
Restaurant Bolinhos de Amor

Restaurant Bolinhos de Amor

The restaurant "Bolinhos de Amor" has two air-conditioned rooms, one with capacity for +/- 60...
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation