Ínsua Fortress, Moledo

Caminha
Description
The Ínsua Fort is surrounded by sea and is located just off the famous beach of Moledo, classified as a national monument since 1910. The islet which hosts the fortress was originally occupied by a Franciscan community in the fourteenth century, when it was built the convent of Santa Maria da Insua. Also from this period must date the first fortress. But the fort, like we know nowadays , dates from the seventeenth century, the reign of King John IV, under the command of D. Diogo de Lima, whose coat is still in the gun port.

Its plan develops into irregular star, with five bastions and ravelin, and lodges inside the Franciscan convent, extended in 1676. In 1949 it was delivered to the Ministry of Finance.

According to records known in 1575, 1582, 1629 ,, 1708, 1947 and 2001, an astronomical phenomenon originated sufficiently low tides that allowed the displacement of many visitors, from the beach to Insua, at their own pace.





 






Location: Caminha
" Portobello" Restaurant

" Portobello" Restaurant

Portobello, located on the promenade along the beach in Vila Praia de Ancora, offers its...
More info
Comments There are no comments from our visitors. Be the first to comment.
Evaluate: Make your evaluation